The Board of the Northland Faculty met on the 18th November. A brief summary of the minutes are below. Full minutes can be found on the website.
- Discussion on the results of the recent survey sent out to members. Of note the majority of respondants wanted the Faculty to become involved in clinical governance issues and political advocacy.
- Website update. Additions agreed to the website include a page about the Board members and a forum for Northland GPs to give their viewpoint
- Feedback from the recent National Advisory Council meeting was received from Chris Reid. The Board decided to become more proactive in engaging with the central college through this committee.
- Planning of the Russell 2015 conference. Tentative speakers at this stage include Roger Tuck, Brandon Wong, Andrew McClelland, Alistair Patrick, Felicity Goodyear-Smith and John Kennelly. It was agreed to make the conference have a focus on urgent/acute care.
- Mentoring and support of Registrars discussed. Some members of the Board will meet and welcome new registrars in early December. A registrar will be invited to join the Board. Registrars will also be asked to contribute to the annual symposium in October and a prize will be offered.
- Engagement of medical students. As a cohort of both year 5 and year 6 medical students will be based in Northland next year it was agreed to invite medical students to the annual conference to deliver poster presentations. A $250 prize will be given for the best poster.